The Dreyer Foundation’s headquarter – Løvenborg – was designed by architect Anton Rosen and built in 1906 with master cabinetmaker Carl Kaas Rasmussen as developer.
The Art Nouveau-inspired facade was built in a new and – for that time – advanced way, namely as a curtain-wall, where the prefabricated sandstone components were hung up on the construction structure located 63cm within the facade.
It is not known exactly where the name Løvenborg comes from, but a guess is that the inspiration came from a very popular inn, Leo, that up until 1895 was located on the corner of Vesterbrogade and Stenosgade.
Løvenborg became protected in 1985 on the recommendation of the special building inspection for the following reason: “Architecturally, the Building is one of the most valuable Art Nouveau Buildings in Denmark”. Ten years later, Statens Bygningsfredningsfond (the State Building Preservation Society) purchased the front building and the facade was restored by Skov- og Naturstyrelsen (The Danish Forest and Nature Agency) in 1996.
The Dreyer Foundation acquired Løvenborg in the fall of 2000 and received in spring 2004 the Europa Nostra Award for Hanne Kjærholm’s and Birthe Just’s renovation of the building. Beside the foundation’s headquarters Løvenborg also accomodates Hotel Savoy, offices and the Dreyer Foundation’s guest apartment for the Art Academy’s foreign visiting professors on the fifth floor.